1. I think it’s safe to say that Friday night will be one of the most unique nights Bangor has seen in some time. In addition to pop sensation Kesha playing on the Bangor Waterfront with Semi Precious Weapons and Mike Posner, there’s also the first-ever Zombie Pub Crawl, in which participants dress like zombies and stagger from bar to bar, starting at Seasons at 9 p.m., heading through Paddy Murphy’s, The Big Easy and Ipanema and ending the night at Tantrum. In addition to all that, you can enjoy DJ Davis at Paddy’s, Kevin Hamel at the Sea Dog, Bizzy Gruntry at the Big Easy, Scott Cleveland Jazz Quartet at Nocturnem Drafthaus and the Glitter and Glam Kesha after party at Tantrum, featuring DJ Les Rhoda and dancers from the Haus of Paradigm. On Saturday, there’s the party band the Larks at Paddy’s, Juicebox at Ipanema, the Aurora Jazz Project at Nocturnem, Sus4 at the Big Easy, and from 5 to 8 p.m. the Portland alt-folk quartet the Ghost of Paul Revere at the Sea Dog, right before the Luke Bryan concert on the Bangor Waterfront begins. Wrap it all up on Sunday with Mr. Nick and the Dirty Tricks at 4Points BBQ & Blues in Winterport.
2. Take it easy this Labor Day weekend, starting Friday in Portland with a double bill of funk and soul with Kenya Hall (pictured) and Sly-Chi at the Big Easy, and another double bill of Maine Americana with Tumbling Bones and the Ghost of Paul Revere at One Longfellow Square. On Saturday, there’s the London Souls at the Big Easy, there’s For Morning and friends at Slainte, and north of town there’s the final entry in the 2013 free summer concert series at LL Bean in Freeport, featuring singer-songwriter Joshua Radin. Wrap it up Sunday at the Oak and the Ax in Biddeford with Hop Along, the Sidekicks, Theodore Treehouse and Family Planning.
3. I’m going to take this time to mention that I was in Bar Harbor last weekend, and I had butterscotch miso ice cream at MDI Ice Cream Company and it was AWESOME. Sounds weird, but trust me, holy moly, wow. OK, that’s it! Just letting you know. The Crown Vics bring the rockabilly at the Thirsty Whale in Bar Harbor on Friday, and Butcher Boy (pictured) play folk punk at the Lompoc Cafe also on Friday, while Eric Green plays at Finback Alehouse in Bar Harbor on Saturday. Friday also brings Him & Her at Mainely Meat on Main in Ellsworth, River Bottom Funk at Chummies in Ellsworth, where the Juke Rockets Blues Band will also play, on Saturday. On the midcoast, check out Blind Albert blues at the Brick House in Searsport on Friday, folk music Junior Stevens and Roger Burridge at 5 p.m. Friday at Rock City Coffee in Rockland, and all-girl dance band Cinnamon at Myrtle Street Tavern in Rockland on Saturday.
4. There are three of the most fun fairs in Maine occurring this weekend, beginning with the charming Blue Hill Fair, a country fair with lots of animals, rides and music. There’s also the Windsor Fair in central Maine, another down home country fair. And on the coast, the Camden Windjammer Festival celebrates the maritime heritage of the midcoast, with a talent show, crate race, public meals, lots of boat races and a pirate invasion from the Pirates of the Dark Rose on Sunday.
5. Happy Labor Day! It’s the unofficial end of the summer – though I think there’s a few more weeks left of nice weather – and you can enjoy the day with country star Toby Keith on the Bangor Waterfront. Or, y’know, you could stay home and sit on the porch and drink a beer. Either works.