1. Cha-cha-cha-chilly. Yikes. Try to stay indoors this weekend, or bundle up when you go have to go outside, and enjoy one of these toasty warm events, beginning Friday in Bangor, with rock n’ roll from RatLeg, Dying Mind, Alter the Tides at the Central Gallery, the Fremont Street String Band at Nocturnem Drafthaus, rockers Little Rodeo at Paddy Murphy’s, and up in Orono, the Rotating Taps at Woodman’s. On Saturday, songbird Stesha Cano and her Jerks are at Paddy’s, bluesman Dave Mello at Nocturnem, a triple bill of Model T & the Shivs, Born Under a Bad Sign and Livid Orange at the Central Gallery, and the Middle Men at the Boomhouse in Old Town.
2. In Portland this weekend, on Friday there’s lots to hear, including Caspian, Defeater and O’Brother at Port City Music Hall, a local Florence and the Machine tribute at Empire, Emo Night at Portland House of Music, Raging Brass Reggae at Bayside Bowl, and David Wilcox with the New New Hampshire at One Longfellow Square. On Saturday, get your Dead on with Joe Russo’s Almost Dead at the State Theatre; there’s also John Hughes Radio, Sunset Hearts and Foam Castles at Port City, Dominic and the Lucid’s Cummerbund Soiree at Empire, songwriters Colby Nathan, Caethua and Tom Kovacevic at the Space Gallery Annex, funk band Model Airplane at Portland HOME, and the Blues Prophets at One Longfellow Square. On Sunday, cover act Bruce in the USA is at Port City, and there’s some EDM with Carnage, Valentine Khan and Kayo at the State Theatre.
3. Friday night at Unity College the Ghosts of Johnson City take the stage, while in Rockland, there’s the monthly Irish session Rock City. On Saturday, there’s lots do see in Rockland town, including Mes Amis at the Speakeasy, the King Pirogi polka band at Rock City, and MLC at the Myrtle Street Tavern. Wrap it up Sunday afternoon By the Bay Jazz at Rock City
4. It’s Valentine’s Day weekend, and whether you’ve got a special someone to spoil or you’re flying solo, there’s some events you can totally heart. Friday night brings the annual American Heart Association Heart Ball at Morgan Hill Events Center in Hermon, while on Saturday Tophat Miniature Stage presents a toy theater version of “Romeo and Juliet” at 7:30 p.m. at Mayo Street Arts in Portland. Both the Bangor Symphony Orchestra and the Portland Symphony Orchestra perform their romantic pops concerts this weekend, and on Sunday, there’s the Chocolate Festival in Greenville.
5. It’s also Great Maine Outdoor Weekend, which means places wild and not so wild all over Maine will offer up hikes, snowshoes, skies, nature walks and other outdoorsy fun for all ages. Visit greatmaineoutdoorweekend.com to see what’s happening in your neck of the woods.