Record Store Day was started in Maine by Chris Brown of Bull Moose Music, the Maine-based chain of media and bookstores, six years ago this year. It now encompasses thousands of stores in countries all over the world, from the tiniest of indies to the largest of chains, and this year is set for Saturday, April 20. All Bull Moose locations in Maine are participating in RSD this year, of course, along with places like Record Connection in Waterville, Music Plus in Biddeford, Vinylhaven Records in Brunswick (pictured), and Newbury Comics in Portland.
Some of the special, limited edition, RSD-only releases available on April 20 include a special vinyl re-release of the classic 1993 compilation “No Alternative,” featuring songs by Nirvana, Pavement and the Smashing Pumpkins; a cassette-only single from MGMT’s new album, “Alien Days;” a split 7-inch record featuring the Stooges’ version of “No Fun” on one side, and a Black Keys cover of the same song on the other; several 7-inch singles from the likes of David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa, Willie Nelson, Pink Floyd and countless others, and much, much more. A full list of RSD releases can be found on the website.
Bull Moose, being the founders, have events set for every one of their locations. The performances at their Maine stores include the following.
- Heavy metal band Dead Season will perform on Record Store Day in Bangor at 2 p.m.
- In Brunswick the North Haven-based indie Americana rock trio Toughcats will perform at 1:30 p.m.
- Lewiston will host heavy, melodic rock band Beyond The Fall at 2 p.m.
- Portland folk rock garage pop band Phantom Buffalo will perform at 6 p.m. at the Old Port Portland Bull Moose.
- Alternative indie band Nice Places will perform at 4 p.m. at the Sanford Bull Moose.
- The Scarborough Bull Moose will have The Doors drummer John Densmore on hand to sign copies of his new book, “The Doors: Unhinged,” at 2 p.m.
- In South Portland at the Mill Creek Bull Moose well-known Maine singer and performer Spencer Albee will perform at 4 p.m. and at 6 p.m. Worried Well will perform and give away exclusive singles from their upcoming May release.
- Rustic Overtones, will perform at the Waterville Bull Moose on Record Store Day Eve (April 19) at 7 p.m. Chris Ross will perform on Record Store Day at 4 p.m. To add to the fun, the Sweet & Salty Kettle Korn company will be selling its treats from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in the Bull Moose parking lot.
- Dark Hollow Bottling Company is known for its mix of Americana, bluegrass, rockabilly, folk and rock. The band will perform at the North Windham Bull Moose at noon.